With the final two rounds of this year’s McLaren Racing Mainland Series being run in conjunction with KartSport Canterbury’s Armstrong Motor Group Garden City Championships meeting at the club’s Carrs Rd Kart Raceway in Christchurch this weekend drivers like top local Juniors Louis Sharp and Zach Tucker have the chance to take home double the usual number of trophies.
Sharp, the reigning South Island as well as New Zealand #1 in the Vortex Mini ROK class, has also been the dominant class driver across the previous Mainland Series rounds, and heads into the final two rounds on his home track with a 69 point lead over current runner-up, fellow KartSport Canterbury club member Chris White, with Nelson ace Ollie Workman third, a further 44 points back.
KartSport Canterbury club members are also first and second in the Mainland Series’ points standings in the Cadet ROK class where Zach Tucker has a 43-point lead over Izaak Fletcher.
There have been over 80 entries received for this weekend’s two-day Garden City Championships meeting, making it one of the biggest run by the KartSport Canterbury club this year.
Leading drivers across the other six Mainland Series classes are;
- Rotax Max Light – William Exton
- Rotax Max Heavy – Andrew Broughton
- Rotax Max Junior – Bo Hill
- ClubSport Briggs LO206 Light – Blake Greenfield
- ClubSport Briggs LO206 Heavy – Mike Kendrick
- Open – Jack Noble-Adams
With William Exton, Andrew Broughton, Blake Greenfield and Mike Kendrick all members of Blenheim’s KartSport Marlborough club it is that club which has a healthy lead in the Mainland Series’ Inter-Club Trophy competition. Heading into the final two rounds of the 2019 series in Christchurch it has 551.1 points, 62.4 more than second-placed KartSport Nelson (488.7) and 69.9 more than KartSport Dunedin (481.2) which is third.
McLaren Racing Mainland Series
Points after Rnd 4 of 6.
- Jack Noble-Adams 294 points; 2. Tony Dyer 272; 3. Marco Schelp 262.
Rotax Max Light
- William Exton 634 points; 2. Jack Noble-Adams 515; 3. Ethan Tuffley 486; 4. Jack McLaren 480; 5. Oscar Noble-Adams 477; 6. Thomas Flynn 434.
Rotax Max Heavy
- Andrew Broughton 584 points; 2. Arron Black 560; 3, Kevin Barker 539. 4. Kyle Rankin 515; 5. Kohu Whalon 470; 6. Mark Ahlfeld 468.
Briggs LO206 Light
- Blake Greenfield 540 points; 2. Adam Geary 515.
Briggs LO206 Heavy
- Mike Kendrick 535 pts; 2. Damian Hill 527; 3. Anton Rasmussen 521.
Rotax Max Junior
- Bo Hill 595 points; 2. Alex Patrick 548; 3. Liam Pink 521; 4. Marrissa Ahlfeld 485; 5. Louise Gridley 446; 6. Scott McLaren 437.
Vortex Mini ROK
- Louis Sharp 590 points; 2. Chris White 521; 3. Ollie Workman 477; 4. James Black 473; 5. Alex Crosbie 472; 6. Arthur Brougham 454.
- Zach Tucker 616 points; 2. Izaak Fletcher 573; 3. Kohen Thompson 495; 4. Zavier Harvey 479; 5. Jackson Culver 459; 6. Laykn Thompson 441.